Sunday, January 24, 2010

St. Jacob's Market

One of the greatest things about Guelph is its proximity to so many points of interest. It nestles itself quaintly off the highway, far enough from the 401 artery that it seems a destination rather than a rest stop; and if one so desired to explore a little off the familiar streets of the city, they are only an hour in any direction from exotic adventure. As a culinary enthusiast and fresh food addict, it is a sad fact that, given how close I am to the village, I don't travel out to St. Jacob's with any frequency. At a mere 26 minutes away, it is my aim to make this trip a new part of my lifestyle, allow me to tell you why.

As my adventuring companion pointed out, "Once you've tasted the market, you can never go back" and how true that is. I'm not exactly sure when it happened, likely it's just been so gradual over the years that we as a public have not noticed the change, but if I think back to food when I was young, it tasted different, drastically so. Carrots, for example, used to taste fresh and sweet and rich, they used to taste like carrots. Tomatoes, the same thing; in fact, every piece of produce I pick up in the grocer these days not only has a different flavour, it also looks different; it looks as though it was taken from a mould, appears shiny and picture-perfect. Now, I'm not sure if any of you have pulled a home-grown vegetable out of the ground, but it doesn't look anything like what comes off those shelves and bins at the big guys down the street. It is in this this unfortunate sacrifice to our palettes that destinations like St. Jacob's come to the rescue.

As a year-round market, open Thursdays and Saturdays, there appears to be no reason not to make the short journey to explore what there is to offer. Granted, during the winter months the outdoor vendors are fewer than in the summer, but for those that still set up their stands, they are bustling with a happy crowd of shoppers and a healthy array of fresh everything. From apples to onions, everything looks, smells and tastes fresh; but most importantly, it all tastes real. Further to the food itself, I feel the need to comment on the physical experience of shopping outside. Especially during these dreary winter days, I find myself defeated by the cold and gray skies, not wanting to do much more with a day off than rush from the car to wherever I can find some warmth; but if I force myself outside and bundle up with my scarf, there seems to be an inexplicable satisfaction in enjoying the fresh air and the feeling of getting outdoors to do something with my day; in fact, I would say it makes the food taste just that much better.

After exploring the rows of fresh produce outside, if you venture indoors the story is much the same: year-round vendors selling and sampling some of the freshest and most delicious fare going. The meat counters are filled with product you can trust and visibly see the difference in quality. Cheese is everywhere, produce at every turn and fresh baked breads, donuts, pastries, muffins, oh the aromas of it all! The variety makes it decadently impossible to choose what to take home, but therein lies the beauty because it only forces you to return with a new recipe or craving. Oh, and if you're going to head in during those morning hours, might I suggest you do so on an empty stomach; with so many vendors set up to serve hot food, it would be a tease for you to have to walk by and not indulge in a sausage on a bun, fresh pierogies, or any number of wraps or sandwiches from the interior.

So, perhaps this adventure had me outside city limits, but, as I mentioned earlier, that's the beauty of Guelph, we're so close to so much that it still feels part of our community. A short drive to far better taste and selection seems a no-brainer to me, I've no idea why it has taken me so long to figure this out. The prices are comparable, if not less in some circumstances than the big name stores, and the adventure it offers is enough to make a day worth smiling over. For those who have never been, I strongly urge you to do so, and for those who frequent year-round, I will hopefully see you more often.

Phil

1 comment:

  1. Ah, but did you get yelled at by the bread guy? Cuz you haven't truly experienced the market until the bread guy yells at you.

    ReplyDelete