Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Avett Brothers

For years too lengthy to tally, medical science has studied the naturally unnatural genetic abilities of siblings. The biological capacity for families to feel each other's physical and emotional pain or joy, or to know the thoughts of a twin in the other room, is a connection that's shrouded in mystery and has been both a study and a debate that would seem only those directly involved can truly, and without explanation, understand. We've all felt it with someone, the conversation held within a nod, the total understanding of an other's emotion simply by their presence, or lack thereof. While this ability, what some call genetic ESP, is a great tool for understanding the trials and triumphs of a loved one, imagine this ability brought to the world of music. Imagine if not only were you able to finish the sentence of the person next to you, but you could actually harmonize it; what if you could go beyond finding the perfect tones to match that phrase and also tap into the exact emotional inflection of the words involved? Then, take the unbelievable ability to create symbiotic vocals and throw in a banjo, a guitar, a stand up bass and a cello. Well, such imagination is by no means beyond the talents of The Avett Brothers.

Seth and Scott Avett, born, raised and musically bred in North Carolina, originally played in a rock band under the name Nemo, until deciding to explore and tap into their roots and the acoustic side of life after the group disbanded in the year 2000. In 2002 they were joined by bassist Bob Crawford and they released and toured their first studio attempt, Country Was, bringing with them a lot of hype and excitement from record execs and happy listeners. Shortly after touring they hit the studio again where the songs continued to naturally pour out.

I could go on, giving you the history of the band and explaining to you how they became who they are today, but I feel that unnecessary. The only thing you need to know about the then and now of The Avett Brothers is that, at any point in their career, their music is worth listening to.

They are a little bit country, a little bit bluegrass, a little bit folk and a lot bit crowd pleasing. Familiar with their albums, I have come to know them as, I almost want to say mellow-mood entertainment, which is not to say that their tunes are not uplifting and fun, they're simply produced as more laid back studio recordings, and that's completely fine by me. Watching them take the stage at The Legendary Horseshoe Tavern, however, opened up my eyes and eardrums to an entirely different side of this band, one that had my friends and I constantly turned to each other in awe.

Emotionally it was powerful, with the sweeter side of Seth's voice weaving in and out of the outbursts of Scott's projected lyrics, and then the two switching roles to show that they could each, respectively, let out what they need to say and you need to feel. On top of this they brought an incredible wall of sound and noise from their acoustic instruments, which I could have sworn at times they were plugging into full on over-driven stacks, but no; there stood only an acoustic guitar, a banjo, a stand up bass and a cello (quite frequently on tour they are joined by cellist and friend Joe Kwon).

Often times I worry when I go to live concerts for bands whose understanding and collection I know only from their studio work. It can be hit and miss as some groups just aren't cut out for the stage, and it's quite disappointing when that happens. Sometimes the harmonies are off, or the leads aren't quite as polished and clean as on the album. Maybe the venue isn't right for the band; the acoustics are wrong or the sound guy is too drunk or deaf from so many gigs to do his job; so many factors can throw a concert off its course, none of which happened here. Everything, from perfect harmonies and balancing sound, was spot on and above.

They are continuing to tour right now, promoting their new album "I and Love and You", and, as a believer that this is a group about to make more "bands to watch lists" than any other artist this year, I urge you to keep your eyes and ears open for their next big gig; and as far as picking an album to start your relationship with this band is concerned, you can't really go wrong, though if you are looking for something a little more polished, the Rick Rubin produced "I and Love and You" is a good place to start. Lyrically and musically it's an impressive collection of songs, intelligently orchestrated and written. "I wanna have friends that I can trust/that love me for the man that I've become and not the man I was," a line taken from The Perfect Space, arguably my favourite song on the record, is a line that resonated through the crowd of The Horseshoe and through my computers speakers as I write.

And so on The Avett Brothers: Enjoy them for who they are, love them for what they're about to become.

Phil

Recommended Listening:

Murder In The City - this song was the first I heard and I was a fan from the opening notes.
Salina
The Perfect Space
When I Drink
I and Love and You

No comments:

Post a Comment