Saturday, October 31, 2009

The Inspirer

By it's very definition, inspiration moves our intellect, spikes our emotions and drives us into an altered level of being, the condition of which results in something we can hopefully reflect upon as being great; something to make us, and the sources proud. While this agent of creativity can take any form, for many of us it presents itself in one very common and repeating shape; a place, person, thought or event that we return to anytime we need that spike of adrenaline and positive energy. For me the origin of so many of my abilities, labours, achievements and stepping stones is my brother.

It seems to date back longer than I can remember, his actions always causing me to think outside the box, take chances and become hopefully not just a better person, but a more adventurous and experienced one as well. This desire to interpret all things new comes to me in no better way then a challenge, and herein lies the way in which my sibling affects me in the most positive way possible.

Whether it was time spent in Tibet, adventuring the tops of mountains, or the gift of a scorpion wrapped in sugar, he finds ways of making me push myself to a greater understanding of things around me, especially in the market of culinary achievements. As an example, after returning from a recent trip to New York, he handed me a chocolate bar unique in ingredients, and while the Dark Chocolate Bacon Bar seemed a tasty treat on its own, I knew that I would have to find a way of using this as an ingredient in my pantry; and so I did, the result and recipe of which I will soon share with you.

The Locale, as I've previously mentioned, was designed to introduce and, again by definition, inspire, which has proven incredibly self affecting. Because of this site, I have found myself so often drawn to things I would most likely have passed by, if for no other reason to share them with others; and while I know my rooted reasons for wanting to share these things, I felt it would be suiting to give special thanks to the person who has, for so many years, done for me what these entries have hopefully done for some of you.

In the spirit of this subject, and to recall another recent story; after taking a trip to Nauman's farm in St. Clements, Ontario, a new and welcome challenge was handed to me by the aforementioned source of so many of my accomplishments. If you've never been to or heard of Nauman's, it is a family run farm that situates itself outside of the busy streets and hustle and bustle of the city. They farm seasonally selected crops which draw in eager visitors, both new and repeat, from all over, providing a bit of family fun and adventure along the way. With pumpkin catapults, mazes and a huge pumpkin patch to find that perfect carving gourd, I think the most fun I've had at a farm in recent history was to watch my niece explore and interpret new things at her grasp in the way only a curious child can. It brought me back to days of berry picking with my mother, remembering the unmistakable taste of fruit picked fresh from the vine. As such, Nauman's is a place I would recommend exploring for yourself someday; however, to get this story back on its topic, having just visited their fields with members of my family, new inspiration struck as I was handed a Futsu squash, attached to the words "Here, make a desert out of this" ah, another inspiring challenge, I'm thinkin' souffle...

I could certainly go on in praise and thanks for all he's done, but I think it has become obvious over the years just how much he has taught me; and for that I can't say thank you enough. It's amazing to me how a simple action can spark a series of thoughts and emotions, and as I stare at this squash in my kitchen, ideas are beginning to form, flavours coming to mind, a new culinary adventure on the horizon and the research and knowledge which stems from it appeals to me like nothing else I can describe, and I have my big brother to thank for that.

It is on this ending note that I inquire into the inspirations behind your positions in life; what makes you strive for more? I'd love to learn of the things the make you passionate for what you do, because sharing an inspiration can help lead to a partnership in design, a furthering of ideas and maybe even someday the realization of of a dream.

Hopefully passing along the gift of new
-Phil

Nauman's Farm
3250 Hessen Strasse RR#1
St. Clements, Ontario

Chipotle Chocolate Steak

Ingredients

1 oz finely grated Mo's Dark Bacon bar (if you can't find the exact brand then feel free to use any bacon flavoured chocolate bar you happen to have.....subsequently you could use any dark chocolate and then fry up and crumble some bacon into the marinade, or wrap a strip around your cut of beef before cooking)

1 - 7oz can of chipotles in adobo sauce - reserve the chipotles, which are dried and smoked jalapenos, for other great recipes and only use the remaining adobo sauce for the marinade

salt and fresh ground black pepper

Mix the above ingredients together and marinate the steak for at least two hours to develop the flavours.

Before bringing to the pan or grill, remove excess marinade and discard. Seer steak on both sides and finish in a 350 degree oven until medium rare. Of course, the ideal way to cook this would be on an outdoor grill, but because I live in an apartment, the pan seer/oven method is an acceptable alternative.

I served this along with roasted potatoes, sauteed mushrooms and bok choy, because that's what I had, but you could use whatever you like, travel the world as best you can. While dark chocolate, bacon and spicy chipotle may not sound like a winning combination to you, I assure you it is, the chocolate balances out the capsaicin harmoniously and your taste buds will thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment