Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Michael Rault

I need to start off with a brief yet formal apology to the artist on which this post surrounds. It seems it has been a week since I saw, met and subsequently promised Michael a blog and an honest review of his performance. Unfortunately, and I'm not one for excuses, I have been sick and away from the keys for a few days. So for your patience I thank you, please enjoy...

As so often is the case, I find myself in the sanctity of the little cafe on Douglas Street, a destination that offers a great deal to me without so much as a request. Sometimes I will be in the middle of a crowded room, conversing with a friend over a cold beer, while other times it will be relaxing in the solitary pleasures of a book and a warm cappuccino. But on the most fortunate of circumstances, on days like this, I am here to enjoy the entertainers; musicians whose style either fit perfectly with the existing atmosphere, or are powerful enough to change and shift it, always for the benefit of both audience and performer, and as for the former, the steadily growing reactions to the music of Michael Rault do not prove as exception.

This Edmonton entertainer got his musical start playing in local punk and garage bands, earning his chops on guitar, while at the same time gaining more practice and notoriety with a second local band by the name of The Rault Brothers. As popular and fun as both bands may have been, it wasn't long before he decided to venture out and master his own unique sound, a move which did not fail him. Through local magazines, radio, news and hype, he began to pick up a lot of attention for his abilities on the strings and his presence on the the stage. From there it didn't take long for Michael to head into the studio, allowing his audience to grow and media buzz to cause waves in surrounding areas. Be it popularity amongst local clubs or radio stations, he's obviously doing something right, because three albums later he's back again, touring for his latest release Crash Boom Bang.

As a new listener I decided that before taking in the show downtown I would scope out his web page, as well as a few other resources at my disposal. Not so much to go in with expectations, just to know what style I should be prepared for; and after listening to the evolution within his writing and playing, the product was certainly impressive enough for me to head out with intent.

I should be perfectly honest with you in regards to the show and inform you that I was bothered greatly by the audience at this event. Next to me sat a group of ladies who decided to resort to yelling over the music so that they could carry on their conversation, rather than exiting to the adjacent room where they could speak freely and without consequence to others. Don't get me wrong here, I don't begrudge people sharing a conversation; I've been to many concerts, and I understand the necessity to raise your voice if wanting to ask your neighbour a question, but there is still a certain respect required for the performers on stage and so it is done so only when needed and usually in comment to the music; these ladies, however, were carrying on and on, trying hard to actually drown out the music. It was distracting and rude, but what impressed this listener was that even though it bothered me, it didn't seem to bother Michael. Instead, he belted out through the microphone and speaker box that lay behind him, quieting the chatter and filling the room with an energy that no one could ignore; the tables on either side of me were instinctively dancing in their seats, the discusions amongst the guilty faded into nothing.

This brings me to the subject of his sound. It is influenced by some of the greatest musicians that history has to offer. Picking up on Bo Diddley, The Kinks, Bob Dylan, and even a touch of gospel via The Staple Singers, he is R&B as it's meant to be heard. Clearly he has grown up with an impressive ear for music and it translates through his performance seamlessly. Although his solo show was incredible, with no percussion to back him, save for the tambourine strapped to his leg, I would love to lay witness to the growing rave reviews of his full band. As a lone performer he plays to the limits of his art, a further distance than most tenured musicians can claim, and I can only imagine what he's capable of with backup.

There is no doubt you will hear from him again, his tour is spreading across the country so keep listening, and for a list of performances and a sample of his talents go to the link which follows.

Recommended listening:

Sidewinder
Honey Bee
Pretty Thing

http://www.myspace.com/michaelrault

.....that's just to start you off, keep digging because there's gold to be heard

Cheers for now
Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment