Monday, August 3, 2009

The Town of Bancroft

We've all heard of it; many of us have been there, either for camping or cottaging or visiting friends on the lake; and more than likely you go to school or work with someone who grew up there; seriously, Bancroftians are everywhere! Whatever the ties are, Bancroft, Ontario is a destination for those who wish to experiencing a true community and a part of nature that seems to have been paved over in many of our own home towns.

With a year-round population of 3500, it's not difficult to understand how, no matter where you go, people know each other. As my friends and I sat down on the patio at Thomas Oiver's Restaurant, on what I will call the main intersection of town, we were immediately immersed into the populous, taken into conversations at adjoining tables and by people not afraid to be friendly with each other. Now, had it not been for the fact that one of us at the table actually resides in town, we may not have felt so amicably a part of things, but I like to romanticize the thought that we still would have, and that a place still exists where individuals don't need to fear conversations with strangers.

T.O.'s sun-soaked patio filled up much of our day, with casual conversations passing through the hours, and when it came time to pay the bill (however high it may have been) we left the premises with a true local feeling, one of which continued as we carried on into the Village Playhouse up the street where we took in a British farce with a sold out audience (once again the word community comes to mind). There is no doubt that talent exists and thrives within the locals and we were happily entertained until curtains closed and we were poured some celebratory wine with the cast and crew on their final evening of the show (again, I tip my hat to Derek; you rocked that Freddie Mercury moustache brother!).

Carrying on to my aforementioned friend's apartment and front porch, we let the night slowly take us forward with drinks and countless passers-by. It didn't matter who anyone was or where they were stumbling to or from at one o'clock in the morning, they were invited to our bash without formalities. I can't tell you how many folks I met that night, nor could I tell you their names (I do blame the full day of drinking for this lapse in memory) but I can tell you that we all shared the evening as a group of people wanting to enjoy simple pleasantries amongst each other, because not doing so would somehow seem inhuman.

As much fun as the afternoon and ensuing evening may have been, nothing seems more memorable to me than the end of the night (or extremely early morning) when Derek and I found ourselves standing alone on the porch, submersed into a sea of stars and perfect summer air. I tried with focused intentions to pick out the sound of a car or siren or anything else unnatural and was almost euphoric when the silence never broke. I don't know when the last time it was that I didn't feel interrupted by the sounds of the city and traffic and people shouting.

So when I talk about the town of Bancroft, it isn't easy to just jot down my experiences with the food at Thomas Oliver's or the finer details of a wonderfully executed play, or the seemingly untouched beauty of the surrounding landscape . It's as though the town itself is an entity, a place to experience, not just visit. Though the six-hour drive is not something I'd normally be rushing to repeat, at least not on a long weekend, it did make it a part of the beauty and attraction to the area; as if we were truly and literally escaping from all the those things that stress us so. Besides, when friends are your company, it's no longer about the time spent in the car anyway; it becomes about the adventure outside of it. The sites, the road games, the play lists, the laughs and the cooler full of sandwiches and pepperettes (thanks for packin' those along guys!).

And so if you haven't already, then the suggestion is now there to head out on the road with a few close friends, plenty of film in your camera (figuratively speaking I suppose) and a packed lunch for the moment when you find the perfect spot along the way to enjoy a picnic; and trust me, there are plenty of picturesque areas where you will want to do this. Above all though, enjoy the feeling of being welcomed by others and slowing things down for a while.

Be back soon.

Phil


....and because I can't resist:

Thomas Oliver's
4 Bridge Street W. Bancroft, Ontario
http://www.thomasolivers.ca/

It's more about the act of patio lounging than it is the food here, though I will admit that for pub fare it is better than a lot that I've eaten in my days. Great bruschetta, above decent potato skins, properly and very well seasoned chicken wings, and a more than passable Greek salad. My only two complaints would be that wings do not come sauced and you have to dip them into those unbelievably annoying little plastic ramekins which will never fully coat your wing, grrrr. That, and they only serve by the glass, so no pitchers here folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment