Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Cornerstone


It is undoubtedly the opinion of many that Mark and Jeff, whose names have popped up before on Ouderkirk and Taylor, have quite literally cornered the market on local vegetarian and vegan dining. At no more than ten feet away from the aforementioned O & T, The Cornerstone restaurant nestles itself quaintly on the intersection of Wyndham and Carden Streets in downtown Guelph, begging for me to come in.

On a day such as this, there was no reason to question why their street side patio was packed. However upsetting that may have initially been, it did force us inside to explore the motif and true essence of the restaurant. Now, I'm not sure how to properly explain this, but the atmosphere is precisely what I expected it to be, despite my lack of expectations; you can stand outside and look at the store front and just know what lies inside.

Above anything else, it screams a comfort experience. It is rustic grey brick walls, dark stained beams and eclectic wooden tables (I say eclectic because, including the silverware, no two items seem to be the same). It is a reading/lounge area and a dining experience, and I say experience because of the open concept kitchen, and on such a note I feel it important to emphasize the space, or lack thereof, in which the staff must work, because for them to kick out the food we were about to enjoy in such a confined and limited workspace only adds to my overall impressions of the restaurant.

I started my meal with a cappuccino; the professional barista set up they had behind the counter was too tempting to pass up, and while that was being prepared we perused our menus to see what popped out. Let me just say that when a local menu states any item as being legendary, I believe in its claim and will therefor order it. Why? Because when a chain restaurant says "famous" or "legendary" on the menu it only means that it has been listed in all of its locations, which shouldn't fool you into thinking it's actually any good; whereas a local contender must actually achieve fame by far more impressive, challenging and perhaps more rightful means. But I digress, this star of the menu I speak so fondly of is the antojitos; cream cheese, onions and a motley blend of seasonings all wrapped in a tortilla and delicately sliced along side sour cream and fresh made guacamole and salsa. That, ladies and gentlemen, is how you start a meal.

Further down the menu we were both torn over so many options. To go with the pad Thai, the African peanut stew or the tofu club? A seemingly impossible decision and so, drawn to the specials board, we opted for the fresh pizza with olive oil, tomato, zucchini, onion, oregano, feta and chevre mozzarella. The word mouthwatering comes to mind. The blend of ingredients atop this 'za were not only piled high but all so incredibly fresh and crisp. It was almost unfortunate that we couldn't finish the whole thing, the key to that statement being that I now have succulent leftovers waiting at home.

Completely full, we had to forgo the desert menu, however tempting it may have been, and settle the bill, and a fair one it was at that (I'd say you could dine safely on about $12 a head, sans alcohol). So, for the moment of truth, would I recommend trying this place out? Well, if it isn't blatantly obvious at this point: without a doubt, get up and go. Not only was the food delicious and fresh and filling and affordable, but the staff were helpful, willing to answer any questions I had in detail and brought us a sense of comfort during our stay (which, by the way, ended with us scoring a couple patio seats once the section cleared a little. Definitely a great way to enjoy your stay during the summer months).

When I think of the restaurant and what it has to offer, there is only one reason I can think of that some readers may be apprehensive about delving in and that is, as I mentioned earlier, The Cornerstone is a strict vegetarian and vegan restaurant. Try as you might, there is no meat to be found on this menu and I'm telling you as a devote "meatatarian" myself, it is not missed in the slightest. I think that a lot of us who eat meat as our main with each meal are put off by the idea of vegetarian food because that focal part of the dish is missing, but I assure you that such is not the case. In fact, when you think about a meal, any meal, and deconstruct what it truly is, it almost always comes down to the veg. They are the aromatics and vibrant colours and the flavours that honestly do more to spark our senses than most meat, poultry or fish have the abilities to do. Of course, I still love my New York strip, roasted chicken with rosemary and lemon and a good ol' fashioned beer battered fish n' chips, but the point is, I can also sacrifice the idea of meat for the flavour of a fully rounded and delicious vegetarian meal.

And so once more my hat is tipped in the direction of Mark and Jeff. After seven years of business they are maintaining a regular clientele, drawing in new crowds and serving up the finest of fresh and local foods. I am eager to return, be it for a coffee, a beer or to try out their tofu cheesecake, I will be back; and I should also mention that they have been known to host musicians and artists from time to time so you can rest assured there will be more highlights to come out of The Cornerstone.

Off to eat my leftovers
-Phil

The Cornerstone Restaurant
1 Wyndham St North
Guelph, Ontario

Mon - Thurs 8am - Midnight
Fri - 8am - 2 am
Sat 9am - 2am
Sun 9am - Midnight

No comments:

Post a Comment