Sunday, August 9, 2009

The Red Brick Cafe

I promised myself on Saturday that on Sunday I would do nothing. I would sleep in, make no plans or dedications, leave my watch and cell phone aside and just relax. I made it as far as 7:30am before being stirred awake by the noises in the apartment above me. A pounding of sorts, followed by the blaring of music, Michael Jackson's Heal the World to be precise, and while I wanted nothing more than to be angry with my neighbours, I instead woke up, made a pot of coffee and flipped on the Food Network, for which I am a junkie in need of help. But as hard as I tried to relax, it just wasn't enough to drown out the M.J. and so I gathered myself together and headed out for a stroll.

Sunday mornings are great for this. Something seems different about the crowds as they enjoy breakfast on a patio or coffee in the park, and there's a quieter, slower paced attitude in the air. So in the spirit of the day, I casually meandered my way down the street, looking for a coffee to wake me up, which is when I stumbled across The Red Brick Cafe.

Just down the narrow corridor of Douglas Street in downtown Guelph, Red Brick is one of those places that seems as though it could fit very well in a European travel magazine. Its cafe-bistro interior is precisely what I needed, and the chalkboard menus begged me to order something more than just a large double-double.

So, a fresh cappuccino and home-made peaches and cream muffin later, and I find myself in that lap of relaxation I had so promised myself the day before; and as I enjoyed my breakfast, I took in the rest of what Red Brick has to offer.

The works of local artists which adorn the walls, postings for upcoming events, shows and in-town happenings that are scattered over the back wall, and free Wi-Fi connections to patrons, all indicated to me that my next posting will quite likely be from the comfort of one of their cozy lounge chairs in the back.

Fully relaxed, despite my morning's rude awakening, I know that beyond what I experienced today, it's not just fair trade coffees, pastries and fresh breakfast sandwiches that have kept this place busy and popular since it opened three years ago. Their menu also includes lunch and dinner selections, complete with a daily wine tasting that, had it not been 10:30 in the morning, I would be reporting on right now. And with the promise of live, local music in the near future (once current renovation and expansion projects are completed) I will be back at their tables enjoying a beer and exploring more of what their menu has to offer.

In the meantime, however, I would both suggest and recommend Red Brick with a friend, a date, or even going solo. It's a perfect setting for conversation, learning about local artists, or losing yourself in the pages of a great read. So grab a seat by the window and enjoy not just the flavour but also the experience of what a good coffee should be.

Oh, and I should also mention that while their product is great to enjoy in-house, you can also purchase bags of their coffee at supporting businesses throughout the community; and for that, the more I explore it, the more I respect and love this city.

The Red Brick Cafe
8 Douglas Street
and now also

77 Westmount Street
Guelph, Ontario

-Phil
photo taken from redbrickcafe.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment