Thursday, August 20, 2009

Christina Martin and Steven Bowers



The most difficult thing an artist has to do is not only display themselves and all they are to the public, but they must do it unapologetically. This action does not veer from or discriminate against any form of art, be it music, written composition, acting or in a painter's studio. The only difference that can really occur is when it comes to the platform on which the art is going to be displayed. A band taking the stage on a large stadium tour, versus a solo artist playing acoustically in a small and quaint cafe, for example, is the difference of being seen through a window, or through a microscope. While bravery must exist for both of those examples, I firmly believe that it takes a much tougher skin and a great deal of respect to do the latter.

When I walked into the back room of the Red Brick, Steven Bowers had already begun his set. Armed with nothing more than an acoustic guitar and a microphone plugged into a fender sitting behind him on the floor, he finished off his first song and started into the second part of his performance. To tell the truth, I've never been one for needing to know "why" a song has been written, taking the mindset that, as the listener, I can place my own meaning and story to the melodies and lyrics of a song. So when he began explaining what he was about to play for us, I have to admit that I was a bit worried the story would perhaps take something away from my imagination. Quite to the contrary, as he wrapped up the tale of how his grandparent's lives and the actions of family have inspired the lyrics and he began to strum the gentle melody, I realized that his story only made me connect more to not only the song, but also to who he is as a musician.

Mixing light comedy with heart-felt emotion, he quite literally wowed me with every song, creating a true connection with his listeners and capturing the essence of the room. At any point in any song, it was entirely feasible for me to close my eyes and truly envision what he was singing about, whether it be making home made wine, or waltzing in the kitchen at 4:00 in the morning. To pair his lyrical and story telling abilities with technical prowess on the guitar was a perfect match to his personality and a welcome side of music and artistry for this listener.

After his set and a short break, we were once again drawn to the corner of the room where Christina Martin had pulled her guitar from its case and stood comfortably in front of the microphone. She started her set much in the same way, recalling a story of her time in Germany when she was 20 years old, learning to play the guitar, when inspiration struck her on a bus. The story once again painted that perfect picture to match the chords as she strummed along and sang in a voice that I wouldn't hesitate grouping with the talents of Margo Timmins or Lucinda Williams. It's really no wonder she's won so many awards and critical attention.

As she sang, I could quite easily picture the European backdrop passing through the windows of a bus as it approached the night club scene. I could almost smell and taste the air in Germany as she made her way across the land; and I could without a doubt understand how her experience there played out as an inspiration to song. Most importantly, perhaps, it made me realize how perfectly in tune this young artist is with her craft, her instrument and her voice.

Song after song, tale after tale, she brought us into her life and personalized herself with every individual in the room. I was not surprised that this girl from Halifax knew much of her audience by a first name basis. I can understand how seeing her play once only leads to seeing her play twice, and singing along and chatting personally with her by your third viewing.

While both Steven and Christina are incredibly talented individuals and dedicated musicians, I don't know that anything to please me more than when they joined together over a duet. In fact I think the highlight of the evening for me was when Steven came back to the floor at the end of the night and sang while Christina harmonized from the audience; like a conversation being held entirely in song, the room fell completely silent to their story carrying back and forth.

By the end of the show I was hooked. Both together and alone, I was prepared to make their albums a regular in my rotation of folk inspired listening. As I have mentioned before, when an artist draws inspiration from such a respectable list of musicians and bands, I can't help but pull myself into their craft; and though I can see where their influences have affected them, there is no question as to the individuality and character they put into their songs. From under that delicate microscope I speak of, the hearts and minds of these two artists is seen crystal clear and has left me wanting more.

Keep listening Canada, there's something to be heard.

Phil




Recommended listening:

Christina :

The Bike Song
Two Hearts
Cut it Out

Steven:

Comfortable Sweet
Your Pretty Fault
Bees in Jars

The life of a dedicated musician is a busy one, filled with concerts, driving, writing and occasionally sleep. The case is no different as Steven and Christina continue their tour across Canada, playing house concerts, night clubs and cafes. As a new fan and an engaged listener, I can't help but hope that as they drive back across our great country they might drop in again, bringing more stories, some new, some familiar, but always entertaining.

Sat Aug 22 London, ON CD Plus- Zeus 2pm13.
Sat Aug 22 London, ON London Music Club 9pm14.
Sun Aug 23 Sudbury, ON Little Montreal 6pm15.
Thur Aug 27 Winnipeg, Manitoba CD Plus In-Store 1pm16.
Thur Aug 27 Winnipeg, Manitoba House Concert 7pm17.
Fri Aug 28 Onanole, Manitoba House Concert 7:30 pm18.
Sun Aug 30 Saskatoon, SK Lydia's TBA19.Wed
Sept 2 Lethbridge, AB The Slice 9pm20.Thurs
Sept 3 Edmonton, AB The Haven Social Club 8pm21.
Fri Sept 4 Calgary, AB Ironwood TBA22.
Sat Sept 5 Canmore, AB Communitea Cafe 8pm23.
Sun Sept 6 Kelowna, BC The Grateful Fred 4-8pm24.
Tue Sept 8 Vancouver, BC The Roundhouse (BBN) 7pm25.
Sat Sept 12 Ft. McMurray, AB Alexander's Lounge 9pm


No comments:

Post a Comment