Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Tomato, Tamato


Bruschetta: n.
1. a very commonly mispronounced menu selection originating from Italy consisting primarily of grilled or baked bread rubbed with garlic and olive oil. The most recognizable and familiar of variations in North American culture includes tomato, basil and feta cheese.
2. Yummers

I've ordered it in restaurants countless times, occasionally by its proper pronunciation: bru-skeh-ta, but, more often than not, by its far more common and, for some strange reason, less pretentious: broo-shed-a. No matter how you let its name roll of the tongue, however, it is an unsung hero of any great menu. It's light and fresh, packed with flavour and, when done properly, can make the air smell a little bit sweeter just for that brief moment when I pretend I'm actually in Tuscany, just returning from the market on my Vespa to enjoy the light crunch of a fresh grilled baguette and cool, sweet tomatoes on my veranda, wine in hand as the sun slowly sets into the horizon.

Okay, so maybe I take food and romanticize it a little too far beyond the imaginations of many, but, for me, that's what food is all about. It takes me away from the worry and the busy lifestyle I've come so accustomed to and allows me to enjoy the finer things, reminding me to take time to savour the flavours and not just fill my belly because it's 6:00 and I need to eat.

Regardless of my reasons or intentions behind food and the passions it may bring, after a recent romp in the playground that is my kitchen, I thought I would share with you yet another of my inspirations, and so without further ado, my recipe for bruschetta:

What you will need:

4-6 Roma tomatoes, diced
1/4 small red onion, finely minced
2 bulbs garlic
1 tbsp fresh basil
1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan reggiano
Olive oil
1 tbsp Black Truffle oil
Salt
Pepper
Fresh baguette

Serves 4 as an appetizer (makes 12 slices)

What to do:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Cut the tops of the garlic bulbs of and rub with olive oil, then wrap them in tinfoil and roast in the oven for 40 minutes or until they become soft and turn golden caramel brown.

Meanwhile, place the diced tomatoes and red onion in a colander or sieve over a bowl to drain (this will help prevent the bread from getting soggy later on)

Once the garlic has cooled, gently squeeze the bulbs to extract the meat into a small bowl. Slice the baguette into 1/2 inch slices on a bias, brush with truffle oil and spread evenly with roasted garlic. Place the slices on a baking sheet and toast until just golden brown.

Add the Parmesan cheese and basil to the tomatoes, season to taste and spoon over baguette slices. Serve. Smile. Savour.

And that's it; my recipe for bruschetta, and it couldn't be easier.
I've always loved the sweet taste of roasted garlic and the earthy aroma and flavour of truffle oil, so to match them here seems a natural fit to me. Of course, there's no wrong way to assemble bruschetta, so play around with it and find the combo that best suits your taste buds. Maybe you could use sun dried tomatoes, or what about prosciutto, even a nice tapenade could find its lovely way to your toasted crostini. Whatever you do, just be sure to enjoy the momentary romantic escape it can offer.

Amore
Phil

1 comment: