Monday, September 27, 2010

And We'll Start With Dessert...

So, there is actually a recipe/experience posting I have prepared before this one, but until I can get my photos together I have chosen not to put it up; you'll surely understand why once it is posted.

Instead, and because I have the itch to sit here and peck away at the keys, I am going to share with you the bounty that I just now pulled from my oven and is filling my house with the sweet and savoury smells of Autumn. I hope you enjoy.

Fall Creme Brulee

Ingredients:

1 medium sized squash to yield 1 cup of pureed product (I have used futsu and acorn but any variety will do)
3 large egg yolks
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 cup of heavy cream
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp all spice
1/4 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
pinch of salt
1 tbsp white sugar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

First things first: raw squash is something nobody wants to eat, so you will need to roast it up to release that nutty, buttery, smooth flavour it has bundled up inside. To do this, simply cut the squash in half, remove the seeds, drizzle with olive oil and wrap with tinfoil. Place the squash into the oven and let it get happy for about an hour or until the flesh has gone soft and your house smells of Thanksgiving.

After you pull the squash, lower the temperature of your oven to 350 and place a medium pot of water onto the stove to boil.

Meanwhile, mix the eggs yolks and brown sugar in a bowl, whisking until smooth and it has turned a nice light mocha colour. Be sure that no lumps of brown sugar get left behind!

Add the cream to the egg mixture, stir well and then continue to whisk in the cinnamon, all spice, nutmeg and salt.

Finally, scoop the squash from the skin and mash to a fine puree, you will need a yield of 1 cup of puree. Incorporate the squash into the cream and egg mix and you're almost done.

By now your water should be boiling and the oven should be down to 350. Divide your sweet smelling squash mixture between 4 large or six mid-sized ramekins and place into a baking dish. Pour the boiling water into the dish so that it fills up to the halfway mark on your ramekins; be sure not to get any water into your mixture or it will not cook properly.

Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until the creme has set (meaning that when you jiggle the ramekin, the middle of the creme wiggles a little bit like jello.) Refrigerate immediately and allow to cool for at least 6 hours, preferably over night.

Remove the creme from the fridge about 30 minutes before serving, top each one with 1 tsp of sugar, distributed evenly over the surface of the creme and then carefully burn the sugar with a torch, your guests should be impressed and jealous that you have incoroprated fire into the serving of their dessert. Serve, savour, relax.

I hope it works out well for you, I'd love to hear any variations you come up with!

I'll return soon with the story of a feast and why one little piggy didn't quite make it to the market...
Phil

1 comment:

  1. I haven't had many creme brulees, so I'm not an authority on the topic or anything, but I have had a few, and I can safely say that this was the Very Best Creme Brulee I have ever tasted.

    p.s. my friend has a cat name Ramekin. I didn't know what that was until now.

    ReplyDelete