Sunday, June 6, 2010

Frolf?




It's admittedly been a while since I've had something enticing and new enough to post about; Frolf seems to have solved this problem.

If you'll remember back to my post on the arboretum those many months ago, then you may also remember me mentioning the sign I saw regarding Frisbee golf. Well, it may have taken me close to a year to get around to it, but I finally hit the links and tossed a few discs through the afternoon air. Unfortunately for me, my skills at disc golf seem just about on par with my lack of ability to play real golf, and so keeping score lost its effectiveness after the second "hole", but, at the very least, I can say that this sport, over golf, finds me cursing far less and actually having fun.

It follows much of the same rules as golf, and, much to my surprise, there are indeed different discs which basically equate to drivers, wedges and putters. I know, I know, it sounds a little odd and perhaps excessive, but, from what I can tell, the slight variations in the disc's weight and size actually make a difference in how the game plays out. Further to this, there is a far different technique to throwing these saucers through the air in comparisson to the Frisbees we all grew up with; where I have somewhat mastered the ability to throw a normal Frisbee in a straight line, these little buggers always seem to want to veer to the left; factor in the wind and you've got yourself a hefty trek through the woods to find your disc. Other than that, the concept and play is the same: you start at the markers, give a good toss and try to land the disc in the frolf basket (which look like some weird animal feeder, see above) in the middle of the green; do this in or under par and you're a winner!

I may have had difficulty in mastering the ability to throw in a straight line, or even make a hole in less than 3 over par, but despite its very minimal list of frustrations, disc golf, or frolf, whatever you choose to call it, is quite a fun way to spend an afternoon outdoors. The beauty of the arboretum is something that I think many of us Guelphites take for granted and this just seems like a great way to get people out there more frequently. There are rules, mind you, and though tempting it may be to revisit the days of our youth and climb one of the many beautiful trees throughout the course, doing so will only get you banned from the premises; no joke, so avoid temptation and just focus on the game.

With simple rules, some good friends, a set of discs (the official disc golf discs I would say are entirely optional and any ol' Frisbee would likely do for the novice crowd) and a great setting you've got yourself a unique and fun way to spend the afternoon outdoors doing something that, much like me a year ago, you may never have known existed.

Admittance is free so there's really no need to hum and haw the "should we?" questions that surround venturing outside. It's a low impact sport as far as stamina is concerned, and there's no skill level unwelcome, providing you don't mind letting the folks behind you play through. So, with no excuses left on the table, I strongly recommend a venture towards the arboretum in the near future; and why not head there on your bike, pack up a picnic and make a full day of it? We wait all year for this weather to pop up, let's be sure to take advantage of it.

Happy trails everyone
Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment