Monday, May 24, 2010

Beyond The Gray Skies

Monday. The final hours countdown from this long Victoria Day weekend and I start to once again think about what my workload will be like tomorrow. Not that I dread my job in anyway, but switching gears from relaxing cold beers on a patio to the office setting will admittedly take a little bit of extra gusto once the alarm goes off tomorrow morning. That being said, as I look out the window into the park nearby and think about how my weekend was spent and how the summer months will hopefully shape up, I am suddenly inspired to write about nothing.

It's been a little over a year now since The Locale first started, and through the seasons there have been some fairly memorable adventures, both indoors and out. Guelph has certainly proven to me that no matter what Mother Nature throws down, there is something that can be found to take advantage of it. And while winter offers cross-country skiing, autumn allows for beautiful walks through arboretum, spring sees the first real temptations set out on the tables at the farmers market, no season gets me more excited to be here than summer. Granted, it's not here just yet, but just thinking about it and all the things I loved so much about last year, as well as those events I unfortunately missed out on, puts an inspiration and excitement in my thoughts to what great things I will be able to soon experience.

Driving back into town from a road trip this afternoon, the windows down and the sun streaming across my already slightly burnt arms, I drove by The Boathouse, packed with people enjoying an ice cream, the company of friends, the scenery of the park and the joy of a kayak, and I thought to myself "I can finally call myself a full-time resident. I can truly appreciate this scene for what it is. I can proudly call this place my home."

Okay, so that may sound a little dramatic for a simple drive down Gordon Street, but it certainly affected me; made me truly realize that, be it the memories of my first experiences of the fresh baked bread at With The Grain, a stroll through Goldie Mill, cycling along speed river, or discovering The Red Brick Cafe on a sunny afternoon, there is no ignoring the fact that Guelph offers so much to its residents, and it's truly nice to see a city full of people who appreciate that.

Beyond the physical structure of the city itself are its inhabitants; and with summer on the brain and patios opening up, people seem to be smiling just a little bit more, Frisbees are being tossed around, home owners are tending to their gardens and lawns, the streets are that much more travelled with amicability, and there are just so many more reasons to get out of the apartment and explore all those hidden trails, side streets, and treasures that got me going on this little rant in the first place. I've already set in my goals to take advantage of the volleyball nets on Wellington and Edinburgh, kayak a little further than last time down the river, and, of course, experience the legend that is Hillside Festival. But, of course, the list of "to-dos" is ultimately a never -ending one, so, on my list of summer time goals, I've barely scratched the surface. Nevertheless, it is with and open heart that I say to all the readers out there that, whatever your plans may be, I hope the months to come are full of new experiences and revisited memories.

Yes, for me this past year has been a lesson and a pleasure; and I sincerely can't wait to see what the next one will bring. So, on the topic of nothing at all, I wrap up by saying that I hope you were all able to enjoy this beautiful long weekend, and enjoy even more the days which lie ahead.

Phil

2 comments:

  1. Great piece. Made me home sick. I always loved the drive back into town and getting to that point on Gordon. Lived in Guelph 14+ years. Now living in Ireland. Funny enough in a very similar town.
    Thanks for bringing me back for a bit.
    cheers,
    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay :) Happened across your blog by accident when googling 'Dad's', but I am so glad you feel at home in Guelph. I was born and raised here, and I love this city more than anything. Welcome to you and your heart :)

    ReplyDelete