Sunday, May 16, 2010

Dad's


Who amongst us dares to state they don't like a good ol' fashioned chip truck? That nostalgic setting by the road side where only the true artists of the potato can really deliver to us the tidings of a piping hot, fresh cut fry is a truly remarkable epicurean experience. I can remember one such place where I grew up that served some of the best malt vinegar wedges and emu burgers I care to remember. Of course, the interesting thing about reflecting is that things often times appear in our memory as a cruel tease; nothing we come across today will match that perfect image in our minds. That being said, however, there's no reason I can't create a new experience today that, 20 years from now, will only have me writing a passage that reads much like this one. Enter Dad's.

I stumbled upon Dad's little food stand only by happenstance; my employer had moved locations from the downtown core to the south end where tasty lunch experiences aren't quite so handy, local or delicious. It was within the first week of driving by this curious little truck on the corner of Laird and Southgate that I wandered in and experienced my first of many breakfast sandwiches. Now, I know what you may be thinking, that breakfast sandwiches aren't usually things we write about or hype up to friends, I mean, there's not much to it that we can't make at home, save for the convenience of not dirtying a few dishes; however, this beautiful morning creation is indeed deserving of much praise, recognition and a salivating mention on The Locale.

It breaks away from the conventional form of a breakfast sandwich in that there are no eggs, but, to be honest, I'm not much of a fan of eggs anyway, but even if you are, I guarantee you wont miss them here. The bun is toasted to perfection, topped with a "house mayonnaise" (the recipe for which I am trying to crack for my home use) then you get a layer of tomatoes, lettuce, caramelized onions, cheese and finally, the crowning glory that is the Dad's breakfast sandwich, a giant heap of Canadian back bacon. It sounds so simple and perhaps like I'm going on about something mundane here, but therein lies the beauty in a place like Dad's over, say, a Tim's breakfast, he doesn't cheap you out on quality of ingredients and certainly not on quantity; so when you hand over your five-dollar bill and still get change back along with your monster of a day starter and a coffee, you know you've made the right meal choice. Compare it to microwaved eggs, frozen sausage patties and careless handling of a tea biscuit? It doesn't seem remotely fair to put any such thing in the ring with this contender.

Or course, Dad's doesn't just serve breakfast, that was merely my introduction (and many returns) to the business that is Dad's catering truck. From pulled pork sandwiches to smoked rib Fridays, foot-long hot dogs, burgers (the Enzo burger is a feat of glory if you can manage to get your hands on one) and, of course, delicious, fresh cut fries you can satiate all those chip truck memories in one convenient place. And as far as the fries are concerned: order them on their own or smother them in gravy and cheese curds, no matter how in ingest these wonderful potato sticks you will be happy.

I'm ever thankful that we moved our business those many months ago, I can't see myself not stopping by Dad's to get my taste buds fired up in the morning; and though he may not be on the main strip downtown, there's certainly no reason anyone can't stop by whilst on their travels toward the 401, or even just to see what the heck I'm raving on about.

Is Dad's building one of those memories I look forward to someday? Indeed, and they are keeping the chip truck dream alive for all those who crave a quick roadside snack without wanting to give in to those golden arches, fire engine pig tales or ruby red lips and crystal white teeth. Make a trip for yourself, see what it's all about, but allow yourself some time, the lineups seem to be getting bigger and bigger as the word gets out and the weather gets nicer.

Happy eating!
Phil

6 comments:

  1. You would think that someone who loves the chiptruck with all of it's tasty treats, would keep this a secret...but now you'll need to get up much earlier in the a.m., to get in line for breaky. What will happen to coffee time at work? I think that someone who I know likes routine, will feel out of place...with all of that loud chewing and such...........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds lovely - but where is it? I can't find an address on your posting.
    Thanks,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terribly sorry about the address Susan; it is on the southwest corner of Southgate Drive and Laird Road. Unfortunately I don't have a street number for you, but the phone number should you wish to call in your order ahead is: 519-277-3237

    Hope this helps
    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, it is I, the Anonymous writer again from May 19, 2010, 12:06pm. This is just great, it's worth making a fast break from the normal breakfast routine, even with all of the loud chewing, it still makes for a good introduction to food....for that particular day...........

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Dad's has turned me off of burgers (made by someone else)forever. While eating in dim light, I thought it tasted sort of off, but I attributed that to the sauce. It was only until I picked a piece of raw meat out of my teeth that I realized what my palate was detecting. Ack. Still feel sick thinking about it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dad's is hands down the best place in Guelph to ge a burger, and is among the cheapest. If you haven't tried his onion rings or zucchini sticks, you really need to. The batter he uses on them is glorious. The portions are massive and the quality of meat is phenomenal. Try a bacon cheeseburger with sautéed onions and you will not be disappointed. Also, too many businesses skimp on the gravy and cheese, but not Dad's!

    ReplyDelete