Sunday, February 21, 2010

Carden Street Cafe

Straying so quickly from my newest of culinary undertakings, I have managed to wow myself in realizing that, after so many months of residence within this fine city, I have yet to post anything about Carden Street Cafe. Granted, it may not be the Thai experiment that I have been working on as of late, but it is a place and an experience that needs to be addressed before this insult of ignorance persists any longer. So without further ado, and procrastination at rest, ladies and gentlemen, I give you The Carden Street Cafe.

It was May of last year, 9 long months ago, that I wandered onto the foreign streets of a city challenging me with cultural, artistic, culinary and adventurous nature. I knew no one, had no clue where to go or what to do, save for the act and passion of being so lost that all I could do was experience firsts at every turn. Lucky for me, when I nested down into my brand new apartment I was given a wonderful home warming package which included tidbits of tasty treats from around the city. The Boathouse, Shakespeare's, The Fat Duck, and, of course, Carden Street, were all on the list of "must dos" as recommended by someone far more Guelph-familiar and travelled than I; and while I touched down in each of the aforementioned establishments, none stuck out so strongly as Carden. Perhaps this was because it was the first of these places I had chosen to go, but better yet, I would say it's because the food and the experience were, and still are, just so good.

On a summer's afternoon I grabbed my seat inside of this seemingly quirky place with bright colours, vibrant music, tropical murals painted across the walls, a small little kitchen off to the side and a bar that drew me in so comfortably. Photographs adorning the walls painted a story of music and laughter and times so obviously well enjoyed by patrons and staff alike; and while I glanced the menu and realized my choice to be difficult, I settled finally on some spicy coconut shrimp dish that the server assured would win me over; I thank her to this day because by no means was she mistaken. Again, that was 9 months ago; 270 days later, nothing about its appeal has changed.

Given its tenure within the community, it would strike me odd if any local readers had not heard of, if not been to the restaurant at some point; but in that off chance you've been wondering whether or not the West African-inspired curry cuisine is for you, then let me put those concerns to rest.

Preparing all of their dishes to order, you are guaranteed fresh. With offerings ranging from mild to spicy, familiar to new, sweet to savory, they are going to find the key to your palette; it seems that is what they are there to do, and they do it so well. In addition to feeding you at a fair price and providing an atmosphere that seems to invoke instant and natural amicability amongst diners, they will also entertain with fairly frequent musical acts stopping by the dining room to liven things up just a little bit more. They serve local, they serve fresh and they should be proud to serve consistently delicious. While I have eaten at my increasingly fair share of restaurants around the city, many of which I would recommend, very few come so quickly to mind as an actual urge to go out and experience all that Carden Street has to offer. Certainly I have my suggestions for the menu choices, but I think it prudent for you to explore this one for yourself; try as I did and go with whatever is recommended by your server, they know what they're talking about.

Open Tuesdays through Saturdays, they have both lunch and dinner menus, deserts you can't resist and a summer patio that boasts so well to a beer in hand. Again, I feel shocked in looking back at the archives that I had not previously written about this place, such great things should never suffer the fall through a crack.

Very, very happy eating
-Phil

Carden Street Cafe
40 Carden Street
Guelph, Ontario

No comments:

Post a Comment