Friday, September 25, 2009

Pierre's Poutine

Its origins have been a debate since the 1950's, with a few convincing fables to take the crown but none of which being irrefutably true. Its name was derived from a word which carries just as much mystery as its creator, having no real definition until almost twenty years after its inception. It causes heated discussion between provinces and neighbours, dividing culinary ideas with sheer and justifiable stubbornness. From sight to smell and taste, and even at the very mention of its name, one can feel the arteries clog, sacrificing health for delicious sin. Yes, I speak of course of the wonderfully salty, rich and gooey, complimenting mix of textures, Quebec's gift to the world: poutine.

As a fan of indulgence, when I first passed by Pierre's green and yellow store front one afternoon, I caught a young couple sitting at the bar stools by the window dining on an appetizingly stringy mound of melted cheese; moments later, without even thinking about it, I found myself in line for a snack.

Without really needing to look at the menu, I placed my order for "what they're having" and waited eagerly for my fill; the ensuing attack on my senses was heavenly. If we judge food first by its smell, then I was taken away; the aroma of fresh-cut fries, frying in clean oil, teasing my hunger with each breath (if you've ever worked in a restaurant then you will know the appreciation for a clean deep fryer). To judge second by sight, I was watering at the mouth as rich brown gravy was poured over top of a mound of real cheese curds. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, the flavours cascading over my taste buds as I took my first piping hot bite, well, to put it simply folks, I believe the word is mmmmmmmm..........

Touching back on history for a moment, whoever it was that one day said "Take these potatoes, deep fry them, cover them with cheese and the top it all off with gravy" is deserving of high praise in my books. I've been a fan of the dish for as long as I can remember and in that time there have been many debates amongst friends regarding Ontario's idea of poutine; how it pales in comparison to the real deal that is Quebec cuisine. Not just between peers, this feud has gone on between the provinces for as long as poutine has been around, and it seems with good reason. I've tried many variations over the years, in both provinces, and, truth be told, Quebec always seems to win the battle. I can't tell you why. I don't know what they are doing differently, it just tastes better. Unfortunately it's farther than I'm willing to drive for food. Well, maybe not, but still, it's a long drive.

So, with all of that being said ladies and gentlemen, I am more than pleased to announce that all of the arguments and debating can finally come to an end; sound the trumpets because we no longer need to concern ourselves with another referendum, Pierre's Poutine has given us resolve: a truly flavourful, Quebec style poutine, right in the heart of Ontario.

Pierre Lachapelle opened his small eatery in December of 2007 and it has been a staple for so many downtown dwellers ever since. Cleverly located on Macdonnell, right in the downtown bar district, the restaurant carries late hours for the after bar crowds, and I can think of no better way to fill that 3am craving. He has kept his recipe simple and pure and true to his routes in Montreal, with curds purchased straight from Quebec, fresh cut fries (trans fat free) and soy gravy. The ingredients may sound simple enough, but I would go so far as to say that there is an art to creating this dish perfectly, and Pierre has certainly filled the canvas well.

Further to offering that wonderful dance of fries, cheese and gravy, there is a wealth of toppings which you can choose to add to your plate, including Montreal smoke meat, peppers and onions, mushrooms and even pepperoni. In addition to this, he also serves "steamies", another Montreal staple, and incredibly delicious home made hamburgers, the recipe for which he keeps close to his chest.

With all that is offered on the menu I can honestly say you can't go wrong, about the only thing I can say about Pierre's that might shy you away is that the prices are higher than you'd expect them to be. With a small poutine ringing it at $6.99 you may not be so eagerly prepared to open the wallet, but I assure you the flavour is worth every penny and he does not skimp on the portion size; I'd be truly impressed if one person could finish a large on their own, a challenge I'd be willing to accept by the way.

So, whether you are Quebecois or Ontarian, set aside all you know about the lowered expectations of local poutine, there is no room for disappointment, and no need to make the five hour drive for a taste of home; simply head downtown Guelph and take in cullinary delights of Pierre's .

Pierre's Poutine
71 Macdonell Street
Guelph, ON

PS it should be noted here that the gravy is entirely vegetarian friendly.

2 comments:

  1. YAAYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!! Well done! I'm so proud!!!!! Et c'est vraie!! La poutine est aussi bonne qu'a Montreal!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you say...
    "He has kept his recipe simple and pure and true to his routes in Montreal, with curds purchased straight from Quebec, fresh cut fries (trans fat free) and soy gravy."
    ...do you mean his "roots in Montreal" ?

    ReplyDelete