Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Market Fresh Produce

In the wake of the Labour Day long weekend, the tendency for most is to pack up the car, load the cooler and head out on the road in search of that final summer adventure. While I am myself inclined to do exactly that, there are, as I've discovered, ways of enjoying an adventure simply by staying in the house, and it all starts with a few key ingredients.

Through my travels in overseas China, I was introduced to a famous local dish called hot pot. Many of you have heard me go on about this ad nauseam, and I remind you that I do so with just cause, however, for those readers new to the concept of hot pot, allow me to give you a brief run down:

In it's simplest form, think of a fondue, a pot of oil or broth in the center of the table into which diners place a various array of vegetables, meats and seafood; that's really all it is, the primary difference between Swiss fondue and Chinese hot pot is the spice, lots and lots of spice.

I can't possibly tell you how many times I overindulged on Sichuan hot pot, I just couldn't get enough of it, and so when I returned to Canada I had brought home with me a few packets of mix to fill my junkie cravings. While I was able to use most of them up with my friends and family, unfortunately the last of those packets expired before my chances. Well, with this weekend's intentions to gather amongst friends and share stories over this culinary experience, we were all but ready to admit defeat because of some silly expiry date, and so we placed our culinary minds, and dare I say expertise? into the grocery store and came up with what I feel to be a perfect and perhaps even better recipe for this most incredible dish.

Below you will find that recipe, and I encourage you to try it with as many friends as you can. At its Mongolian origins, hot pot was intended to use basic, inexpensive ingredients that could be easily transported and reused to feed many people at one time, and because of that, this meal became so much more than just a necessity for nourishment, it was an event that brought villages and families together. With no exception to that history, through the hours of eating, I was able to spend the best parts of my weekend learning about the lives of some of the greatest people I know. It's a communal bonding adventure and, again, I implore you to give it a try.

Ganbei everyone.

The Broth:
6 cups chicken or vegetable broth (that's two boxes if you use store bought)
2 stalks of lemongrass, bruised and cut in half
1 tbsp of Sichuan peppercorns - that's key, regular peppercorns wont work
1 tbsp of coriander seeds
2 star anise pods
2 tbsp soy sauce or Bragg's if available
1 navel orange, cut in half
1 package dried mushrooms - porcini, shitake, cremini work well
2 tbsp fresh, rough chopped ginger
6 dried chilies, more if you want to increase the heat

The Dip - a plate or bowl served to each diner:
2 tbsp peanut oil
1/2 tbsp chopped cilantro
2 tbsp chopped roasted peanuts
1 tsp MSG, if available
Hot chili oil to taste

The Eats:
various selections of veg and meats, individually skewered. Some of the best items I'd recommend: cremini mushrooms, hard-boiled eggs (quail if available), par-boiled parisienne potatoes, baby bok choy, sugar snap and snow peas, etc. Really, though, you can use whatever items you want.

The Process:
Bring the broth to a rolling boil and then reduce to a simmer to allow the flavours to develop for 15-20 minutes. You will need a portable burner or other device in order to keep the liquid boiling at the table. Place the broth in the center of the table and submerge your skewers into the pot until cooked. Once finished, dip into the peanut oil, cilantro and peanut combination and enjoy- careful, it's hot! I would also recommend reserving half of the orange, lemongrass, chilies and some extra dried mushrooms to add after the first hour of eating. The beauty of this pot is that the flavours will develop over time and by adding more aromatics later in the evening you are only going to reward yourself with a new flavour dynamic.

So it may not have been a weekend on the beach or at a campsite or in a cottage or other "adventurous" locale, but it was still one spent exploring the tastes of another country, the flavours of fresh, local foods, and the experiences and stories of good friends.

Sourcing out the food? My suggestion is to hit the market and just see what appeals:

Market Fresh Meat and Produce
10 Paisley Street
Guelph, Ontario

Their foods are kept local, always fresh, inspiring and very fairly priced; not to mention the produce tastes intensely like what it's supposed to taste like.

7 comments:

  1. Where on earth does one find Sichuan peppercorns around here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can find them at Asian grocers, specialty food shops, I believe the Bulk Barn may have them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phil ....Reading this makes me love you more each day. Here's to a great friend who has truly changed me...oh and to many more GREAT hot pot dinners !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buddy, I have some very fond memories which include hot pot. And you've inspired me, yet again. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there....I just purchased a fondue pot and need to find fondue oil for the burner...I'm not sure where I can find that in Guelph?

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is an awesome kithen accessory store on Kortright East, in the Zehrs plaza, called "Thyme to Cook"; they should have what you seek. Failing that, Home Outfitters does sell the gel burners, 2 for $5.99...but I'd try Thyme first, very friendly and helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's great :) thanks so much

    ReplyDelete