Monday, November 8, 2010

Slurping The Fat

Sundays; for the past 52 weeks I have spent them in the kitchen. Partly because it's required for me to run a business, but mainly it's because I enjoy the act and art of cooking. I find the chopping therapeutic, the aromas relaxing and, despite my groans when the alarm grabs me in the morning, I find the challenge of creating something new each week to be completely fulfilling.

It is strange how a dish can develop out of nothing. One moment you have a pile of raw ingredients in your pantry and then, somehow, without having planned it, you end up hours later with a meal sitting in front of you; a reward for all the hard work you've just put in, and, oh, how sweet that victory tastes when it turns out better than expected. Today, I owe such victory and inspiration to one simple ingredient: bacon fat.

French Onion Soup

This deliciously sweet and savoury soup is quite likely my most preciously memorable comfort food. My mother would make it when I was growing up on those brisk, cool days, and whenever she did it was am anticipation like no other to sit down and slurp back the steaming hot broth and gooey, stringy cheese, melted straight from a smoking hot oven. It warms my core just thinking about it now.

So, when I stepped outside this morning into the fresh autumn air, felt a cool breeze sweep across my face, and brushed the frost painted on my windows, I realized instantly that it was the perfect kind of day to bring out my stock pot and start chopping some onions. This recipe couldn't be more rewarding...

You will need:

2 tbsp bacon fat (yes, bacon fat. Save the drippings from your Sunday morning breakfast, that's all flavour in the pan!)

3 lbs cooking onions, thinly chopped

1 cup port ( I used a 10-year because I had I a bottle laying around and port is not my first choice in beverage so it tends to find its way as an ingredient. You can certainly use red wine in its place)

2 litres of good quality beef broth

A healthy pinch of salt and pepper to taste

1 french loaf, sliced and toasted

Swiss cheese, grated, plus any other nice melting cheeses you like (alpine cheeses work the best in my opinion, and don't skimp on quality; buy something that makes you smile)

What to do:

In a large stock pot over medium heat, melt the bacon fat. Once hot, add in the onions and cook on medium to low temperature, stirring occasionally until the onions have caramelized and turned golden brown, approximately 20 minutes. Turn the heat up to medium-high and add in the port. Simmer until reduced by half and then add the beef stock. Simmer for one hour, season to taste.

Once the broth is seasoned to your liking, turn the oven on to 450 degrees. Ladle the soup into oven safe bowls, place one slice of french loaf into each bowl and top generously with grated cheese. Bake in the oven until the cheese is melted and happy. Allow to cool before diving in; this will be difficult because your kitchen suddenly smells of sweet goodness and your taste buds will want to know what it's all about. Refrain though, maybe pour yourself a nice glass of wine, grab a pair of slippers and light the fire. Once these tasks are done, you are ready to reap the rewards of a Sunday afternoon well-spent.

I hope you enjoy this as much as I did. The use of bacon fat truly gives the dish that extra punch of flavour, the port gives it a smooth and sweet palette, and the quality of cheese makes this simple soup seem almost gourmet.

Happy eating!
Phil

2 comments:

  1. Something about having a bottle of 10-year port just "lying around" makes me laugh.

    Also, thank you for the advice. Buying expensive cheese is pretty much my favourite way to treat myself ... :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sound delicious! I'll give this one a try next time I get drunk on port and make a mess of bacon.

    ReplyDelete