Monday, April 19, 2010

Old Man Luedecke

Wednesday I entertained the idea of learning to play the banjo. Thursday I went and saw Old Man Luedecke play the banjo. Friday I shopped around for a banjo. Saturday I decided that, while I would still love to be in a bluegrass band, for now I'm going to bask in the sounds of the professional.

So, while I've been familiar with the east coast sounds of OML for some time, I have never experienced the joy of seeing his talents live on the stage. I've always had this impression in my mind of what he does and how he would inspire a crowd to stomp and clap and sing and dance; many times it can be a scary thing to go into a show with expectations, since they can be so easily shot down; in this rare occasion, however, I found those expectations only bested by banjo-strumming excellence.

Hailing from Nova Scotia, OML has been playing his brand of song over the course of four well-crafted albums, and with the release of his newest, My Hand Are On Fire And Other Love Songs, he does not disappoint those dedicated fans and eager listeners. And while even he admitted to stepping outside of his comfort zone, trading in his banjo for a guitar a few tracks, the signature sound of a man telling a story through song is not lost. It's truly amazing to me when one man can sit lone on a stage in front of a crowd, pick up an instrument and make us all react as one in such a positive manner. In no way can I say that I was disappointed by the evening.

So, true, his music delivered what it promised to by my time spent with stereo samplings, but what I found truly interesting and rather unique about his performance on the stage was how his story telling, and that's truly what his songs are, invited such varying acts of participation from the audience. While, as I mentioned previously, some people couldn't resist the seemingly natural urge to stomp and cheer, others swayed, some just sang along, and others chose to sit on the floor, directly next to the stage and just listen to what Luedecke had to say. To look around the room and see so much personality elicited from a crowd was truly pleasing as an observer of reactions.

The most unfortunate and only negative thing I can say about this show came by the fate of my own devices; and as I've mentioned in previous posts, I fear that my late night college years are creeping up on me once the stroke of midnight rings its bells. So, though my creative juices wanted to stay for the full set, I found myself submitting to fatigue by 12:30, had to leave, and missed out the song I had so wanted to hear in the flesh. That being said, however, the show was still a success, an evening well spent and one I wouldn't miss should he decide to come back around again, though I might take in a longer nap before I head out.

Check him out for your own listening pleasure through his myspace and discography. Oh, and be sure to tune in to The Joy Of Cooking, that song, despite my having missed it live, just does it right for me.

Until Kazoo my dear friends!
Phil


PS just a special thank you to all the readers, The Locale has now experienced over 10,000 visitors. Word of mouth is the best we can do to support our local businesses and community, so I thank you all for checking in time and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment