Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Thai Fighters - A Long Time Ago...



Episode Two: Time is a Relative Thing

While Pad Thai, at the most basic of its ingredient list, has been around for many, many years, the popularization of the modern dish is actually quite young. Research I've compiled has been surprisingly tricky, but what I can determine from a list of reputable sources, is that even though the direct origin is unknown, (though it would appear a best guess that we owe many thanks to the Vietnamese) the date in which we recognize Pad Thai's inaugural feast is somewhere in the late 1930's to the early 40's. Of course, this isn't to say that it was a completely new and revolutionary dish at this point in history, it simply helps us get an idea as to when it became more of a wide-spread staple in the modern world. Though, having said that, depending on which part of this great Earth you happen upon this tasty treat, you may find a few alterations, though slight they may be.

In North America, for example, we happily consume heavy portions of noodles, tamarind, tofu, egg and lime. While in places like, oh I don't know, Thailand perhaps, a much lighter version of the dish would be most commonly found. Taste would be, and is likely just the same no matter where you dine, with a list of ingredients comparable down to one simple difference: oil. See, we love our oil here in North America, a little too much, and we aren't afraid to overuse it, which is precisely why Pad Thai gains weight, and subsequently why we do too. This is not to say that oil is forgotten in the overseas regions of "anywhere else" it just seems to be used in different ways. However, be it on the streets of Thailand at some random sketchy food cart, or on the streets of Toronto in some random sketchy dive, Pad Thai is Pad Thai and it can either be tasty, or it can induce unhappy times; which seems a good point should to take us forward to the main event: I wonder what tantalizing treasure or terrifying tales our next competitor has to tell; on with the battle!

Operation: Sombat the Thai Guy

First Impressions - Honestly, to speak of firsts, I was immediately finding myself comparing it to the previous contestant, and found myself thinking "Wow, this place obviously cares much more about how it presents itself" For one thing, I felt as though I was in a well lit, well decorated, friendly and prompt business. Tables were laid out methodically, the floors were well kept, and, as I just mentioned, the lighting was cheerful and clean; well, clean as far as light is concerned; I'm just going to trust you know what I mean by that. In other words, first impression of Sombat was a positive one on its own and a welcome change by comparison.

Atmosphere - Feeling as though I mainly covered this subject in the "Impressions" column, I am opting to forgo further detail and just say that it was certainly inviting, and friendly in the details.

Service - Okay, so here is yet another area in which Sombat managed to lift my expectations from the mud they had been previously buried under. Not only were we greeted promptly and offered to sit wherever we chose, we were also given the space and time we precisely desired to choose from the menu of fine selections. When we did make said choices, the wait was quoted to us at 5-10 minutes; "Sure, I've heard those words before a 30-minute wait on more than one occasion" an admittedly negative and jaded thought which ran through my previously unhappy, Thai-experienced mind. Yet, I should not have been so quick to sarcastically judge and critique, because within that promised time frame we were walking out the door with food in hand.* So, on service, an A+ from the teacher, or I guess maybe I'm the student in this case. Hmmm, well, whatever position and power I happen to hold, I bestow upon the kindly staff of Sombat a gold star of excellence in the field of hospitality and service.

*In case I had not previously mentioned this, we opted for the take out experience.

Food - Ah, yes, the big one. The category that seems to outrank anything previously mentioned and really stand as the be-all, end-all, make or break, dine or dash rating. Well, pleased am I to say that in this case I would dine again; and oh how I would dine. Not only was the food plentiful and hearty, it was delicious, authentic, well presented (and when it comes to take out, if a restaurant can still pull off a presentation technique to impress the diner, then kudos to them) the food was also extremely reasonable and fair on the pocket book. Were I to compare it to Lemongrass, I would find myself dining on lager portions at a fraction of the price; and that's me comparing apples to apples of course, Pad Thai and spring rolls. In a word: delicious.

Now then, overall ranking? To go by my seemingly random and obscure rating system: 4 out of 5 stars. Why not the full 5? What went wrong that I wouldn't award full points to Sombat and the crew? Simply put, to give anything in life perfect points would imply that they not only don't need to, but they simply can't and should never bother trying to improve and up their game; and this would simply be a foolish decision for any business. Have I had better Thai food? Yes, many times. Have I had worse Thai food? Oh, dear have I ever. The point of this case study, however, is that I have not yet had better in Guelph, but the search will continue, and the battle aint over 'till there's only one left standing; for now it's Sombat, but who knows what underdog may take the crown in the next episode of Thai Fighters.

Thanks for reading folks, and happy eating as always.

Phil

Sombat the Thai Guy

565 Woodlawn Road West

Guelph, On

No comments:

Post a Comment