Saturday, November 28, 2009

Vinh Phong

Have you ever been handed a recipe for something incredibly inviting and delicious, only to wonder where the heck you are going to ever find the ingredients required to make it? I've seen hosts on the Food Network whip up some great meals such as fried quail egg served over seared foie gras with bulgur wheat and fleur de sel, a dish that sends my senses into a whirlwind, but where on Earth can I source this stuff out? The box grocers have done well these days to stock their aisles with some multi-cultured ingredients, but they still aren't quite on par with specialty shops and independent businesses; and in no better way have I learned this than in preparing for yet another wonderful hot pot meal. As such, I thought it prudent of me to share with you a particular store downtown that has been salvation for some, if not all of my eastern inspired dishes. Ah, yes, I speak of course of my little Asian haven on Macdonnell, Vinh Phong Asian Food Market.

It's such a lifting and rewarding experience to walk through their doors during my day, and for more than just one reason. As I peruse their shelves and take note on some new flavours, I can't help but let my mind stray back to China and into the grocery I used to frequent by the school where I was residing. My culinary mind had fun exploring those shelves of many overseas mysteries, much the way it does here at Vinh Phong. The similarities between the two are uncanny; they both seem to carry a countless numbers of the same curious packets, cans, sachets, and boxes, many of which I admittedly don't know the uses for. However, there is both a difference and a beauty here as opposed to my time in the Sichuan province, that being that it takes nothing more than a polite inquiry with the staff and they will kindly translate, direct and advise me on how to use that giant bag of "食物" to the best of its potential.

Aside from international mind-travelling, the other reward I gain from this quaint and nearby market is the knowledge and assurance of finding exactly what I need to round out whatever inspired dish I'm working on. Be it fresh lemongrass, those quail eggs I had mentioned earlier, or dried prawns, they stock it all. Their shelves have, on more than one occasion, gotten me out of a bind, introduced me to new passions and reminded of some old ideas that I deemed forever unavailable to me, and so for that I urge you to explore a little on your own and try to come up with some new combinations for your stir fry or hot and sour soup - to get you going I've included a simple recipe below for experimenting with the sometimes intimidating, yet always delicious lemongrass.

Indeed, Vinh Phong has become a regular on my shopping list, supplying all I need and want plus that little extra I had no idea was out there. From Pocky, to dried mushrooms, chilies, duck eggs, a huge assortment of amazing dumplings, spices, herbs, fruits, vegetables, pastries, I could keep going on and on with what they offer, so much so that it is with fair warning I let you know that their product selection can be a little overwhelming and perhaps even daunting, especially if you have no idea what it is you are looking at or reading. However, with that being said, I urge you to give it a shot and take your time wandering down each aisle, explore the selection of spices and don't be afraid to try one you've never heard of before, and certainly don't be afraid to ask how to use it, the staff are there to help.

Yes, recipes can be a bit intimidating if we don't fully understand the list of ingredients, and even more so if our "go to" shopping center doesn't carry said items, but that shouldn't mean we should give up on them. Vinh Phong is one of many specialty grocers within the borders of Guelph, and while I continue to explore the others, my list of possible dinner options keeps growing and getting more exciting. We all have a natural tendency to keep away from foods we don't understand, which is why researching the new can not only calm those fears and uncertainties, it can also be quite appetizing.

But without further ado, here is something to get you going; an easy recipe to get that first foot in the door and off on an international adventure, right from the comforts of our own great city.

Lemongrass and Ginger Tea

You will need:

1 Lemongrass chute
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons of ginger, peeled and chopped
5 tea bags (preferably black tea)
7 more cups of water

First discard the top portion of the lemongrass, it is too woody and bitter for this tasty beverage. Cut into 2 inch sections and bruise with the back of your knife (by bruising the stalk you release the oils and all their goodness). Place the water, sugar, lemongrass and ginger in a sauce pot and bring to a boil, stirring to make sure the sugar dissolves. Allow the simple syrup to steep for a few minutes over the heat and then remove from the burner and let it continue getting happy. Boil 4 cups of water, steep your tea for a good five minutes, then strain and stir in your simple syrup mixture. Add 3 more cups of water and ice* and you've got yourself a good time....add some rum, a few mint leaves and a little demerara sugar and you've got yourself a party!

*you could definitely serve this hot on a cold winter day, but I prefer the refreshing iced variety

Until the next time
-Phil

Vinh Phong Asian Food Market
32 Macdonell St
Guelph, ON

1 comment:

  1. Buddy...loved this. Very inspiring. I've yet to check out my own local Asian market for quail eggs, but I have high hopes!

    ReplyDelete