Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Buns Master

There a few things, if any at all, so fine in the morning as a fresh baked loaf of bread. Sure, that first brew of fine Colombian is a welcome start to any early riser, but I challenge you to list something as warming and pleasing as the delicate aromas of bread taken hot from the oven.

Something about the dough as it fills the house rushes my mind instantly back to France, standing on the street corner and ordering a fresh and warm baguette from a vendor cart, or a remarkably light and airy loaf from any number of delicatessens. Because our sense of smell is linked so closely to memory, I believe this to be the main reason so many of us appreciate that fresh-baked opportunity when it presents itself; and while it may not bring all of us back to that French street corner, it can still help start any day off on the right foot, and I would, without hesitation, welcome it into my home seven days a week. Unfortunately, however, two things are working against me; first, I do not have a bread maker, and even if I did it wouldn't matter because, secondly, I am a terrible baker. So what does a person in my position do? How do I get back to those street corners and deli's that tingle my senses just so? Well, short of hiring a full time live-in baker, I head out in search of the freshest offerings the city has to offer.

Now, as far as I'm concerned, when it comes to bread style and selection, there is really no wrong you can do. Focaccia, Calabrese, Parisian, pumpernickel, you name it and it will taste good on any occasion, and even better with the right choice of sides; wonderful cheeses, spreads, toppings, fillings, the possibilities are endless because bread is a blank canvas for us to serve our cravings. Yes, no matter what corner of the Earth it may come from, there is bound to be a bread that pleases, and as good as any location can be, I've travelled within Guelph to many bakeries over the past few months and have narrowed my preferences down to two highly praised and precious spots for that wonderful doughy goodness.

One of these places I've mentioned in the past at With The Grain; and though it has been a while since I first wrote about it, it is still a fantastic and delicious location to pick up so many of those comforting baked delicacies that we all seem to not only love, but also need. The other is one that has been both a prized and cherished staple in this community for over twenty years, and, located at the corner of Silvercreek and Speedvale, Buns Master Bakery of Guelph, will surely, and after only one visit, prove to you why that is.

Aside from their fresh baked breads, bagels, pizza doughs and rolls, they offer a plethora of other baked needs and wants, including gluten free products for those with celiac related dietary needs. Their selection will change daily, using different herbs on different doughs, and trying out new and bold combinations to find that perfect medley of ingredients. Drawn to this changing menu, I have been through their doors numerous times, not only because I love their product, but also because, in terms of cost, it is extremely comparable to buying the wholesale goods at the local supermarket. In fact, I find them more often than not to be cheaper than a particular line of box grocers that rhyme with Lehrs and Duperstore, not to mention far more fresh and delicious.

Open seven days a week from 8:00am, a stop by this store at any point in your day is only going to mean a reward for all of your senses. The staff are incredibly and reliably friendly and helpful, and seem to have a true passion for what they do, which translates so well into the product. As far as my recommendations are concerned, there are certainly no poor choices; and please don't be fooled by the small interior either, there is a ton to choose from upon those shelves, and as I mentioned earlier, those options can change from day to day. With that being said, allow me to share and hopefully inspire you my most recent purchase and subsequent delicious snack:

Start with their herbed Focaccia bread, baked with olive oil, parsley and oregano. Cut it in half and spread a healthy portion of goat cheese, remember, nothing can be bad when goat cheese is involved. Next, layer on some roasted red peppers and fresh watercress, add a little salt and pepper and you're done. Now that's a snack!

So while I may not have the hands and talents of a great baker, nor do I have the finances to employ one full time, it doesn't mean that those palette pleasing aromas can't come to me so easily and freely; just a quick jaunt down the street and I'm back in Europe, savouring every moment of it. Now, if only I could find the perfect French pizza to match the experience...

Happy eating everyone.
-Phil

Buns Master Bakery of Guelph
256 Silvercreek Parkway N
Guelph, ON

1 comment:

  1. Once again you have managed to tickle my tastebuds into wondering just what can be done with a good slice of fresh bread. Such a simple thing, a slice of bread some cheese and veg. I have to say I'll have to try it on the weekend. I think I'll take James and Gemma and the girls to the Farmers Market in Barrie for a browse around. Take care. Janis

    ReplyDelete