Saturday, July 3, 2010

Bhimas Warung


For the past two years my brother and my sister in-law have been talking about this restaurant "I simply can't pass up" and for two years we've tried to make it happen so all of us could share a meal there. Well, 24 and some months later, we finally made it happen; and while hype can more often than not be an unachievable goal, my expectations in this circumstance were met and far surpassed at Bhimas in Waterloo.

It's a funny thing though, the most desirable establishments tend to hide out in the most undesirable places. Perhaps this helps to maintain their mystique and awe, perhaps it's the cheaper building costs or some other factor I can't honestly think of right now. Whatever the case may be, Bhimas would never have struck me as being the type of restaurant that it is. Well, truthfully, I wouldn't even know it was there had I not the privilege of my sibling and his family to point it out.

See, it hides behind a tall wooden fence in a building shared with a massage therapy clinic and some other administrative offices on the second floor. Now, perhaps one might accuse a tall wooden fence of being too closed off for publicity reasons, I know that was my initial thought about it, but once you're on the patio that sits on the other side of said fence, you are grateful for its ability to close off all outside traffic - well played Bhimas Warung, well played indeed.

The establishment is set up very open concept for the dining room experience. The chefs, and I mean to say chefs and not cooks very intentionally here, prepare their meals with care and pride in the eyes of the onlookers at the bar and those observing from their seats in the dining lounge. The boys and girls on the line are a thing of beauty to watch because of how well oiled their movements are, and you can tell they've been at their craft for years (oh, how I do sometimes miss the joys and pains of the industry) but, regardless of whether or not you've ever worked in a kitchen, there isn't a person out there who wouldn't be able to appreciate the work that they do; and the proof of their love comes out in the food we get to eat.

As for the atmosphere, I can't speak volumes to the indoors because we opted for the patio, but from what I could tell it was very inviting, friendly, warm and fun all at the same time; and for the patio itself? Well, it was great given the conditions, though I must admit that if I were to dock points anywhere for Bhimas it would be in the layout, decor and overall design of their outdoor eating area. Granted they don't have much to work with, but I found the mix of umbrellas and neon tube lighting to be a little distracting from the classiness of the food. I mean, I do understand the mood they are going for and are trying to stray from a stuffy type of fine dining, and I do appreciate that, I really do, but I just don't think they've mastered that balance on the patio. But I digress, on to the food: hands down the best part of the whole experience...

Phil - after fifteen minutes of heavy deliberation and page turning: "Well, absolutely everything looks good, but I think I have finally settled on the fresh spring Ontario lamb rack roasted on a saffron, apple, almond, artichoke and Stilton cheese with Asian herb aioli risotto"

Alison - also after much contemplation and consultation with the other members of the party: "Mmmm, I think I'll go for the Monkey fish* and lobster plate. Oh, and we should get the cha gio (– menu #1 08-94… and from the forbidden purple city on the perfume river, minced pork, crab and shrimp, wrapped and fried in rice paper.) as an appetizer"

*yes, they call it monkey fish there - the menu is quite amusing to read, very tongue in cheek humour which I greatly appreciate and does manage to balance out that stuffiness I mentioned earlier

Dave - grinning and pleased that we have found suitable menu options...strangely he has not yet cracked his menu open: "The monk fish is really good, you'll like it, but, don't decide yet, they haven't told us the specials"

Specials! I hadn't even considered a life outside the menu at this point, but oh how the specials were exquisite. It must have taken our server a full five minutes to go through the 2 apps and 3 mains they had on for the specials that night. I honestly couldn't begin to recount half of what she said except that it was all marinated in deliciousness and as soon as she said "Strawberry grouper with smoked salmon and...." I was sold.

We had oyster two ways as an appetizer (one an almost classic Rockefeller version and the other a spicy coconut curry with chicken version...drooooooool) and for the mains Alison stuck with her monk fish and lobster (which also came with fried lotus root I should add, yum!), Dave got the halibut wrapped in banana leaves and served with black rice, Ruth had the vegetable pakora and noodles and we all just sat in this little pallet of nirvana until the plates were polished, dessert menus were in front of us and the wine bottle was empty.

I honestly think I could go on about this for quite some time, but rather than tease you with words like "Cardamom ice" or "Fried bananas" or "Chevre cream cheese with peppered strawberries and rhubarb ice cream" I'll insist instead that you just go try it for yourself. Take the hype and run with it (though i would also strongly suggest you bring a thick stack with you since they aren't exactly cheap - but, as they say, you get what you pay for).

So, the next time you're hungry and don't want to cook but are also not sure where to go, remember there's a little French-inspired, modern -Asian oasis tucked behind the fence on King Street in Waterloo.

Happy Eating everyone!

Phil

http://www.bhimaswarung.com/bhimas.htm
262 king street north
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
tel./fax. 519.747.0722

PS if you are feeling really adventurous, they also have a location in Bali which looks absolutely breathtaking.

2 comments:

  1. Haven't eaten at Bhima's in ages, but I remember how good the cha gio is. The thing that stuck out for me the most in your post was RHUBARB ICE CREAM though!!! I'm on a rhubarb kick these days - gotta try making me some of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately it wasn't I who ordered said dessert, but I DID get to taste it and it was awesome. You'll have to let me know how your version goes...perhaps a recipe swap?

    ReplyDelete