Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Flour Barrel

This time of year seems most conducive to eating vast amounts of food in a short period of time. I think the biggest culprit in this category of guilty pleasures would have to be those little comforting treats that find their way to our already engorged bellies with a frequency that, any other time of the year, we'd curse ourselves for. I am fully aware of the unhealthy levels of sugar and sweets I'm about to take in, yet every year I look forward, with an unparalleled excitement, to those baked squares and cookies that my mother spoiled us with while growing up. I've got my favourites to list, and I've tried to replicate where I can but there's just no equating to mom's talents in the kitchen. Because of this, I have left these wonderful goodies to the hands of the master and have tried coming up with a recipe I could perhaps call my own, and slowly over the years perfect and build on it, expanding on my abilities as a cook and testing the unexplored waters of baking.

Ah, but where does one begin with such a venture? It has occurred to me that, while my pantry is stocked pretty high with savory herbs and spices, I have little to speak of in the way of the sweet. Given that baking is more of a science than the skill set I have acquired, I need to find those leaveners and sugars and so many other supplies necessary to kick start this recipe of mine, and there seems no better place to purchase the finest of ingredients than at The Flour Barrel downtown Guelph.

The Flour Barrel has been a regular on my route since I first discovered it a few months back. Located on Wyndham Street in the downtown core, they house a seemingly endless sea of pantry needs, and I've yet to walk through their doors without finding what I need. There's certainly a lot to be said about the quality of their ingredients versus those of the standard grocer or bulk food supplier. They are more aromatic, fresh, and generally far more appealing, yet not any more expensive than those milled in a factory far, far away; so, why wouldn't I purchase here?

Anyway, after much deliberating and teetering between which desert I would try my hand at, through inspiration from some friends (H & K) I came up with what you will find below. Granted, this is perhaps not the recipe I will duplicate on the next attempt, in fact I already know two changes I would make on the next go around; however, with that being said, I think for my first time out it turned out well enough to share it with you.

And so to all you holiday bakers out there, mom and sister-law especially, I thank you for all of your seriously dedicated hard work in making those delicious little squares, cookies, tarts and pastries; you truly are what makes this time of year so special.

Phil

The Flour Barrel
115 Wyndham Street North
Guelph, Ontario

Chocolate Covered Candy Cane Cheesecake

Here's what you'll need:

Crust:

1 cup graham cracker crumbs - next time I plan on using chocolate graham crumbs
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted

Cake: - in future I think I will make this a cheesecake of the Bailey's variety

2 packages cream cheese
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup sour cream
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract - vanilla beans would be nice here too

Dip:

3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (24 ounces if using squares) - I will use milk chocolate next time
3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
Crushed candy canes for topping

How to do it:
Oven preheated to 325 degrees

1. I don't have a spring form pan, so I decided to line a 9-in. square baking pan with foil and grease the foil, which worked perfectly. Combine the graham cracker crumbs, walnuts and butter. Press evenly into pan

2. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar and sour cream until smooth. Add in the eggs and beat on a low speed until well combined. Stir in the vanilla and pour over your crust.

3. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until center is almost set (should be like a jello shooter when you're done; and don't worry, it will set up as it cools). Allow to cool, refrigerate until chilled. Freeze overnight.

4. The next day, in a double boiler, melt chocolate, shortening and peppermint, stirring occasionally until smooth. Lift cheesecake out of pan and peel off the foil, cut the cake into two-bite squares. Remove a few pieces at a time for dipping; keep remaining squares refrigerated until ready to dip.

5. Using a skewering object, completely dip squares in melted chocolate. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets; fill in the little holes on top with the crushed candy cane, everyone will wonder how you dipped these things so perfectly! Allow the chocolate to set and then store these puppies in the fridge until eatin' time. Can also be frozen for future endeavors.

And that's it folks, my starter recipe for what I hope to bring to the Christmas table in years to come. Obviously there are some changes to make, but I think it's a good place to start, and I'm hoping the folks at The Flour Barrel think so too...

No comments:

Post a Comment